Wednesday 2 September 2009

Quality Time

I sometimes think I will never live down the blog on “being busy”. When I wrote about being busy way back in March (http://happinesssoup.blogspot.com/2009/03/on-being-busy.html) I didn’t think I would still be the recipient of so much leg pulling and comments like “whoops, better not say I’ve been busy” or “you just wouldn’t understand – I really have been busy” ……. Hmmm, but at least these comments are delivered with a large grin and I have always wanted long legs......

Anyway, I was thinking the other day about being busy and having to squeeze things (friends, family…) into ones schedule; and thought back to when (70’s, 80’s?) the expression “quality time” became a popular mantra; how we should make every precious minute we spent with children, spouse, parents, friends count.

I think this quote from Henry David Thoreau (the book, Walden) a nice reminder of what “quality time” should be:

“We meet at very short intervals, not having had time to acquire any new value for each other. We meet at meals three times a day, and give each other a new taste of that old musty cheese that we are. We have had to agree on a certain set of rules, called etiquette and politeness, to make this frequent meeting tolerable and that we need not come to open war.”

A little while ago I wrote about Building Connections, about family mission statements – go to the following link if you want to re-read it:
http://happinesssoup.blogspot.com/2009/07/building-connections.html

No comments:

Post a Comment