Saturday 26 September 2009

Face Book

The other day at lunch we got talking about Face Book. Out of the 8 people there only two of us were on Face Book. The conversation turned to FB and I sat back and listened to the comments flying around the table, all bad. Even the only other person on FB began to waiver and started saying things like “well, it’s a waste of time”, “not sure what I am supposed to do”, and if you could hear what the rest were saying you would think joining FB was akin to joining a coven.

I was totally outvoted in my support of FB - albeit none of them had the first idea of how it worked – and as my lone voice was not going to be given a chance to be heard, I decided to blog about it instead.

I am fairly new to FB – about 3 or 4 months now. I don’t have all that many friends (yet). I have been quite slow about finding my way around but now, the first thing I do every morning is check FB. I love it…. There are some regulars like Avril who posts her photo’s and her amazing paintings. Trudy and Ingrid post messages that are so inspiring and make you feel good. Then there is the occasional message to say something like “At long last Tony is out of hospital” - yippee, Gwen is a goldsmith and puts photos of her work in her gallery, Nicholas has posted a whole lot of photos of himself in his 17th century armour (I was his squire at a sword fighting tournament). And then there are the youngsters (teenagers) who invited me to be their friend…. I love reading their comments – mostly in sort of SMS speak which takes a bit of deciphering…but lovely none the less.

And then all of a sudden you find someone from the past…… or someone finds you. What joy! Big Happiness when this happens…. Some people I haven’t heard of for so many years and it is wonderful to catch up with what is happening in their lives.

In fact, I love it when my regulars are there chirping away and a when there is a message from someone who only ‘FaceBooks’ occasionally…. I feel a certain contentment that all is well…….

You don’t have to post your deepest darkest secrets. You don’t have to post something every day. You can post something as simple as “great weather”. Only your FB friends can read your comments and you can send private message that no-one but the recipient can see.

In our busy lives (dare I say that!) it is a great way to keep in touch – on a fairly superficial level I agree, but you will be keeping in touch on a level that you probably didn’t do anyway. Sign up – it’s free.

No comments:

Post a Comment