Monday 28 February 2011

Just do it


Seth Godin has written a new book called Poke the Box and yes, you guessed it – it is about the boxes we put ourselves in.

Whilst I haven’t read the book yet – it will be one for my bookshelf – it seems to be typical Godin and he asks you to ask yourself some really important question. We should be asking ourselves questions like “why am I doing what I am doing” or “ why aren’t I doing what I want to do” …then it is probably time to take action. One of the comments on Amazon is that this book is “rut-reversing”.

And sure, you might very well say that you don’t know what to do….well doing nothing isn’t the answer. Godin says in the Amazon interview …“Poke the Box is about the spark that brings things to life. We need to be nudged away from conformity and toward ingenuity, toward answering unknown questions for ourselves. Even if we fail, as I have done many times in my life, we learn what not to do by experience and doing the new. This isn’t the same thing as taking a risk. In fact, the riskiest thing we can do right now is nothing.” (Liz’s comment: always make new mistakes)

I think that you need to change (free) your mind a bit and yes, like Seth says “poke the box”. I loved the comment by one of the speakers at Cape Town FEAT. She said that she went on her adventure to the Atacama Desert after she shed 95kgs of weight – 80 of which was her husband (now ex-husband).

That comment got a chuckle from me but then I went on to think about all the different weights we do carry around with us….sometimes we just have to let go of these, move on, leave the weights behind. I think this is the first step in Poking the Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment