Tuesday 1 February 2011

January Snippets

Desert Gaiters:

The Mark 111 version of our desert gaiters was hugely successful in Abu Dhabi in December. The 4 teams wearing them gave them the thumbs up – not a speck of sand sneaked through and they are light weight and very comfortable and fun…the teams specified their colours and we made them up in…bright green, bright blue, floral (yip, floral in the desert) and white. The photo opposite shows a team careering down a sand dune – if you look carefully at their feet you can see our bright green gaiters. And just check out the size of the sand dune - scary!

Books:

If you want to a read a book that tells a story of passion (not the bedroom kind) then get yourself a copy of Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. It is a true life story about a guy who went off to climb K2 – next highest mountain to Everest – didn’t make the summit and then got lost in the Himalaya foothills on his way back to the nearest town. And that is where this man’s incredible story began; his passion for one project and what has become his life's work. Well worth the read.

Best Text message:

I received a text message the other day from my friend Judy telling me to give her a call as soon as I got home so that she could run over with a book for me to read –makes my heart warm when people want to share their excitement and passion for something.

Learning something new:

I try to learn something new every year. So, because I am in the music industry, I decided that I should learn to play the drums. We have about 3 sets at work so I don’t have worry about equipment, and sound proof rehearsal rooms, and Thabo (one of our sound engineers) who has graciously offered to be my teacher. I bought my sticks and a practise plate today and begin my lessons tomorrow. It’s never too late to be a rock star.

365 Project:

One of my cousins posted something on facebook about her friend’s 365 project. So now I am friends with the 365 project person and she told me that whilst she didn’t invent the concept, she is doing it this year. Apparently it was started by some photographers and they pick a theme and take a related photo every day and after 365 days have an amazing portfolio. So I am passing on this idea – I don’t think you have to just do photography – you could do anything. Like a different soup every day….imagine the recipe book you will have at the end of the year. I would love to hear your ideas for a project like this…

No comments:

Post a Comment