Friday 14 December 2012

The Duvet Effect



The Duvet Effect happens when you buy a new duvet cover.

You put it on the bed then take a look around to check how good it looks in the room. And horror of horrors, all of a sudden the curtains look dreadful and are pulled from the rails, the walls are painted and the carpet replaced. Because you have some paint left over, the passage gets painted, then the other bedrooms, then the carpets are ripped up and replaced with wooden flooring, the light fittings are changed, new bathroom suites installed, kitchen demolished and you even consider buying a new car. All because you spent R450.00 on a new duvet cover from Mr Price.

I have just gone, and am going, through this. I had the interior of my house repainted this week. It was sorely needed and something I have been putting off for ages, years in fact! I can’t stand the disruption; I can’t stand taking down all the pictures, curtains, stacking everything in the middle of the room. This really affects me – I was fussing over Bracken and Lisa pointed out that she was fine – it was me who was getting more and more ruffled and neurotic. The handy man Shane, who is charge of this painting operation, is also working his way through a long list of household repairs and maintenance items as well. He is back on Monday to touch up some of the paint issues and complete the repairs and everything is messy, messy, messy!

But to get back to the Duvet Effect. Yip, you guessed it. Blinds and curtains have found their way to the rubbish bin area, stuff is being chucked out left, right and centre, new frames being quoted for on pictures, I am about to rip out some light fittings, new curtains have been purchased, new furniture being considered and so it goes on.

I would seriously suggest that any quote you get for painting/repairs/a new duvet cover is multiplied by 10 and divide by .25; you might then be close to what it is actually going to cost you.

No comments:

Post a Comment