Sunday 10 October 2010

I have a dream

On the 7th October I went to an amazing event called FEAT (http://www.featsa.co.za/). Not only was it wonderful because it is the brainchild of my daughter Lisa, but because it provides a stage for South African adventurers to do a show and tell of what they do. Have a look at the website for the format and the amazing (that word again) array of speakers at this first FEAT event, and beautiful photos.

These men and women are awesome and their adventures leave one inspired; I was certainly hell bent on making my reservation first thing Friday morning with the local Everest club for a climb next year. (Lisa suggests I try Killie first *grin*).

The one common theme, though, that each and every adventurer talked about was the importance for them of following their dream and lets face it, they certainly do dream big - be it climbing the 7 summits or circumnavigating the earth…north / south under human power only: they just have to do it.

Old Dreams:

99% of us get on with marriage, children, 9 to 5 jobs and we tuck our dreams away somewhere and they nag and gnaw at us and we never quite get round to them. So what I suggest is: there is nothing is wrong with taking them out and dusting them off every so often…… Maybe, and here is a big maybe…perhaps the dream has passed its ‘sell by date’ and needs to be replaced with a new one. Maybe that old dream is holding us back from doing something spectacular. I know that there were lots of things that I would love to have done: ballet, singing, brilliant artist…. now I sing in the shower and dance in my garden…and sculpt and paint with a modicum of success. For many years I bemoaned the fact that I didn’t have the wherewithal to do these things. But had they really been my dream I would have done them….sold the house, the cat, etc etc. I would have moved heaven and earth to do them. Now I have a lot of fun doing these same things…in my own time, my own pace and I am very happy doing them without all the stress of fulfilling that dream. And I have replaced those dreams with other, new dreams….albeit not quite like climbing Everest (close though!). I have other things now that I want to achieve and do…and they are achievable and doable - for the time being.

I have replaced the some old dreams with new ones…have I given up? NO…not at all. I have changed as I have matured/grown up/gotten older – my needs and desires are different to what they were 20/10/5 years ago.

There comes a time when you need to discard the old, unfulfilled dreams. Don’t let these dusty old dreams hold you back – move on to new exciting things.

Supporting the Dreams:

I said to my friend Judy yesterday, imagine having this conversation:

Judy: My son has just become a CA/lawyer. What is your daughter doing now?

Me: Well my daughter has decided to be an adventurer. She is going to circumnavigate the world, north to south and back again, under human power only and it will take her about 8 – 10 years. She leaves next week.

I am sure there would be stunned silence – it sounds really funny/odd doesn’t it.

But my daughter is following her dream/s, she is an adventurer …and all those adventurers’ at the FEAT talk are following theirs. They are deadly serious about their dreams. This is how they run their lives and how they make their living.

In days gone by Stanley, Burton, Speke et al were the adventurers. They set off to discover new lands and a bit of fame and fortune. Today, the lands have all been found and there is not too much fame and fortune to be got out of adventuring. Today, they find new adventures like climbing the 7 summits and baling off the top of each one strapped to a paraglider - then they write the book, do the film and hope that they will get at least enough to fund the next adventure. They don’t just do it for the little bit of fame or fortune that might come their way….They do it because this is the way they have chosen/dreamt to live their lives. This is their passion and their life. (ditto for artists/musicians/dancers/writers etc)

Being an adventurer is really out of our mainstream norms and the prescribed schedule for how our lives should progress. It is sometimes a little difficult to understand and sure, every parent wants their children to be secure and comfortable and mainstream. But every so often we need to look at ourselves and our children and say “well, why the heck not”; and give all the support we can – help make that dream come true. Each and every one of the adventurers at FEAT says they couldn’t do it without the support from their family and friends. These adventurers are all amazing, mature, clever, nice, stable, serious, sincere, energetic, constructive and contributing members of society – they have just taken a different path.

No comments:

Post a Comment