Monday 31 May 2010

May Musings


Mindfulness – it’s not all about you

I read such a good blog this morning. This guy, Dr Alex Lickerman, talks about mindfulness - being aware of our place in the world, being aware of what is going on around us and how important this is (mindfulness) so that we know the effect our actions have on others. He emphasises a point by using this analogy (and I paraphrase): When you get to a red traffic light – you are not stopping because it is red, you are stopping because it is someone else’s turn to go.

The Month of May

I have a love/hate relationship with the month of May…I hate the way my garden “goes thin”. I have gaps where plants have been pulled up to make space for winter seedlings and bulbs; the remaining plants seem to shrivel and their leaves look smaller and thinner. But I love the cooler weather and best of all are the evenings when the temperature suddenly drops and I have an hour of exploding wisteria seed pods. It sounds like stones hitting the windows. Total war zone out there. You can see the feeding birds ducking so they don’t get hit by flying pod and seeds. Next morning the lawn is covered with wisteria seed pod shrapnel.

May Book

I am reading “Wolf Hall” by Hilary Mantel. On the cover The Times says it is the most gripping book you’ll ever read….and I concur. I am on page 341 (650 in all) and I can hardly put it down. I heard that the sequel is either being written or soon to be on the shelves…..thank goodness! She writes beautifully and once you get the hang of the quirky style you will love it….. it is new and refreshing and the story unfolds like a kaleidoscope.

No comments:

Post a Comment