Thursday 31 December 2009

Resolution for 2010


Like most people, I have a couple of NYRs in mind at the end of the year….and am hell fired inspired to put these into being at the beginning of each New Year. I also have to confess that the only NYR that I have ever kept was to give up smoking – 14 or 15 years down the road I am still off the fags.

That was my NYR crowning glory. So this year, I have pushed the thoughts of dieting, more exercise, paint the skirting boards, etc etc to the back of my mind – not that I am not going to do these things …. But if I focus on my one NYR this year, really devote myself to it…then hopefully, achieving all this other stuff should follow.

My resolution for 2010 (and forever) is to practice “being mindful”.

Not always as easy as one thinks…..I was reminded of “mindfulness” a little while ago when someone asked of me “where do you go to when you are with people?” I know how damn irritated I feel when I think someone is not giving me their undivided attention - but you guessed it, little old me is just as guilty of drifting off with my own thoughts.

There are many aspects to Mindfulness and I think that this is a really nice topic for Happiness Soup to touch on… being mindful reaps its own rewards and I am quite sure improves happiness levels.

My first Mindful assignment is to be more In The Present: Focus on what is happening right now, give the proper attention to what is happening around me, what is being said to me, enjoy being in the moment and enjoy the time with people around me. I am going to try not to think of what funny/enlightening/profound thing I am going to say next or what I am going to have for dinner…..

My second Mindful assignment is: Develop a Very Healthy Relationship with Food. I want food to be my friend. This means I will enjoy each and every mouthful of food, plan my meals and take my time eating. There is no need to gobble down food..….I will make each mouthful count, savour each and every moment and mouthful (especially because I really am going on The Diet of all Diets on the 4th January). I am told that one eats less this way so I think it’s worth giving it a Really Good Try.

These are the 2 assignments I will concentrate on for a bit…… After all, Rome wasn’t built in a day ….. but I will be adding to the Mindful list as the year progresses and share these with you.

Wishing you Love and Happiness for the New Year. Hope it’s a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment