Monday 11 February 2013

A few little things


 Your name in print:
I don’t care who you are but it is really nice to see your name in print.

Towards the end of last year I was interviewed for a couple of hours by a young journalist from a magazine called Modern Athlete. They wanted to do a story about my Camino walk. The journalist was really interested and found most of what I said quite fascinating and she hung on every word – well I like to think she did! I submitted photos with smart captions and waited to see the story – only to see it in full glorious technicolor, finished and published in the magazine. I didn't get to proof it.

So why aren't I jumping up and down with excitement and waving it under everyone’s noses? Well, there are few things that aren't quite correct but the one ‘error’ that has me blushing and, lets face it, cringing a bit is the sentence that says I said ‘I ate like a pig every day’. Whereas what I said in reply to the question about the type of food I ate along the way was: ‘I ate a lot of pork…in fact I might have eaten a whole pig by the time I got to Santiago (joke, joke, joke)’

Where is Mac when you need him.

Good reads:
I have just finished reading The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Read it, it is wonderful
Another really good read is: The Garden of the Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng – a fascinating story and you will be surprised by some of the characters that pop up. A friend said it could have done with a bit more editing but I enjoyed it tremendously. One of the books you don’t want to end.

Good jazz evening
On the last Saturday of each month there is a jazz night, the Classic Jazz maters entertain for a few hours at the Radium Beer Hall on Louis Botha Avenue. The music is fabulous and the Radium has a large menu and the food is great (and reasonable). It is a lovely way to spend an evening. The music is of the bandstand style and I can guarantee that you will know almost all the songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment