Sunday 20 May 2012

What I like about art




Whilst this Zuma art thing is a hot topic I thought I would put some of my thoughts and feelings down about ‘what I like about art’.

When I stand in front of a Caravaggio I want to weep and sometimes have wept. The first time I visited Sainte Chapelle in Paris I sobbed very loudly and just the thought of the place brings on the tears. When I gaze up at Victory my heart stops…. my jaw is on the ground and my knees turn to jelly when I stand in front of Monet’s water lilies…..



I also love things that amuse me and make me laugh. I love the idea of an every day object being used as art….the pictures below of a good old clothes peg and a couple of fried eggs amuse me no end and I could just kick myself that when I owned a lovely white carpet I didn’t throw some yellow cushions on it….And the clothes peg – well, if my garden was big enough I would have one.

But back to the furore over the Zuma painting; I first heard about it on 702 news whilst driving home after work. I think ‘guffaw’ is the right word to describe my reaction, I guffawed, and then had lots of chuckles and giggles and I hadn’t even seen the painting! I found the idea of this painting really funny and was (am) especially amused by the reaction from the ruling party.

So in a discussion over lunch with friends yesterday I listened really patiently while Fred expounded on the respect that should be given to the office of the president blah blah blah. But I can’t go with this argument anymore – if the office wants respect from me then it should up the ante a bit, actually quite a lot, and then it might get the nod. And the president – well, as far as I am concerned he should have been completely naked in the painting - he asked for this…hahahaha. Yeah for Brett Murray and the Goodman Gallery – thanks for the laugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment