Saturday 24 July 2010

Mouse Bird Balls and Meringues

Mouse Birds:

I have a huge tree outside my bedroom. I have a double story and in the morning I look at the birds congregating in the branches for all the yummy stuff like fruit and seeds I put out for them. A month or so ago I noticed the big round feathery thing in the tree and once I had my specs on my face I realised it wasn’t a whopping big fat rotund bird - it was a huddle of mouse birds! This is how they were keeping warm. The birds on the outside of the ball take turns clambering up their buddies backs and push their way down into the middle…The little guy, or gal, on the inside has to face the cold until it’s his turn again to clamber up and push his way in. Very cute; I just love watching them in the morning – they hang in this ball and catch the morning sun beams. In the photo – not such a good one (and nor in good focus) - shows a big round grey blob – that’s the mouse bird ball.

Meringues:

Today was a stunning day; warming up thank goodness. The cold spell was awful and today I almost felt that spring was here…

So full of the joys of spring…….I decided that there was nothing better to celebrate this summery feeling than with strawberries, cream and meringues. I dove into the kitchen to knock up a quick batch but nothing is really quick, is it? I couldn’t quite remember how old the eggs were and I didn’t have enough sugar. So off to the shops and back again…then got stuck into making the meringues which actually only take about 15 minutes. Then you put your feet up for a couple of hours while they gently bake.

Every time I make meringues I think of my friend Judy….. And I laugh my way through the process. Once I asked Judy (who is the reigning Meringue Making Queen) what heck did one do with all the egg yolks – especially if you have made a huge batch of meringues? Judy’s reply: put the yolks in an airtight container in the fridge and when they turn green chuck them out……Enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment