Sunday 21 February 2010

Let people walk in your footsteps

Lesson:

The other day, while my daughter and I were talking about life in general she told me about a young girl in their adventure racing club who needed a bit of help getting to the top of a koppie. The koppie was steep, rock-ridden and there were no discernable pathways. Lisa said she saw this girl making attempts at a couple of routes but was obviously very nervous and uncomfortable. So Lisa went back to her and told her to hold onto her backpack and put her feet exactly where Lisa was putting hers. After a while Lisa said she could hardly feel this girl holding on and she was now having a little chat, beginning to feel a bit more confident and by the time they got to the top, she was chatting away and didn’t have to put her feet in each and every one of Lisa’s footsteps. She had found her feet.

Learning 1:

This morning I helped with the registration process at a big orienteering event. It was a special day for girl and boy scouts and the usual keen local orienteerers. There were a lot of people and I didn’t quite know what I was doing. I had to take money, record numbers of people, cut of registration forms, give one bit to them, one bit in the starter’s box, one bit to record a number; Figure out (mentally) the correct amount to charge and give change. My helper had to record the electronic tracking device numbers and put this paper in the tracking device and hand it over. We had queues of people and I was to be on duty for about an hour and then had to rush off to a brunch. My watch was half an hour fast so I was getting panicky and Lisa said she would take over. I mumbled to her that my helper was a bit slow and off I went; only to discover that I wasn’t late so back I went to continue with the registration. And things began to run smoothly albeit still quite hectic. Later, Lisa told me that my helper was the very same girl she had helped up the koppie. But now here’s the thing: This girl has been a member of the club for about 2 years. She is at every meeting, she volunteers to help at just about every event going, and she arrives on time and has never let them done. She does her tasks uncomplainingly. You can rely on her.

I had taken on the role of leader this morning on the registration table. And I messed up rather badly. Firstly I just assumed my helper had done this before (not so), I didn’t get all the instructions I needed and I didn’t pass on clear instructions to my helper. And I should have asked for an additional person to help us but didn’t. And, I should have been a bit more patient and understanding with my helper – I should have been more mindful. And sure, after about half an hour we were working nicely together….but here’s a thing. For about the first 45% of the time we bumbled; I was a lousy leader and did not give good direction or instructions. If we had been building a bridge half of it would have been a mess and the other half OK! I had a really willing, hard working helper just waiting to be led and she did a great job – I could have put her off registration helping for life!

The Learning 2:

Those reliable, “never let you down” people who are willing to learn and take instruction, the “walk in your footstep people” are the people that are the backbone of any task or project. We need people like this – they are our workhorses.

Learning 3:

I am reminded of an interview I heard about the annual selection of student dancers for the Bolshoi Ballet. The person being interview is one of the selectors and she said they see hundreds of brilliant young girls and boys but they don’t always choose the absolutely best dancers. They will choose the ones who are willing to learn and work with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment