Thursday 19 February 2009

Being In the Moment

Everyone knows the expression “stop and smell the roses”. But what does this actually mean?

Being in the moment is an awareness of what is happening around you at that particular time – the present. Awareness is enjoying the beautiful scenery, being conscious of the people around you and listening to every word that is said to you.

I recently came across this questionnaire about being mindful and awareness - it has been a constant niggle at the back of my mind for a week or so. Why? Probably because I would answer “yes” to most of the questions – and the answer to all the questions should be “no”.

Have a look at the questions (from a paper by K Warren & R Ryan)

1. I could be experiencing some emotion and not be conscious of it until some time later.
2. I break or spill things because of carelessness, not paying attention, or thinking of something else.
3. I find it difficult to stay focused on what’s happening in the present.
4. I tend to walk quickly to get where I’m going without paying attention to what I experience along the way.
5. I tend not to notice feelings of physical tension or discomfort until they really grab my attention.
6. I forget a person’s name almost as soon as I’ve been told it for the first time.
7. It seems I am “running on automatic” without much awareness of what I’m doing.
8. I rush through activities without being really attentive to them.
9. I get so focused on the goal I want to achieve that I lose touch with what I am doing right now to get there.
10. I do jobs or tasks automatically, without being aware of what I’m doing.
11. I find myself listening to someone with one ear, doing something else at the same time.
12. I drive places on “automatic pilot” and then wonder why I went there.
13. I find myself preoccupied with the future or the past.
14. I find myself doing things without paying attention.
15. I snack without being aware that I’m eating.

The question about being preoccupied with the past or future is particularly pertinent to Happiness. How often do we angst over events from the past – which are long gone and how often do we stress over what may happen in the future – events we may not be able to influence?

Being in the moment (aware, mindful) puts another dimension to our lives – one that allows us to enjoy and connect with whoever we are with, making that interaction more meaningful and allows both people to walk away with dignity and acceptance. And one that allows us to enjoy whatever we are doing so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment